Watercolour Painting Holidays And Courses In Portugal - Europe
One of Europe’s finest painting landscapes is in Portugal’s lush Alto Minho area.
Portugal has risen to the top of the charts for European holidays in recent years,
as has it’s northern city of Porto on the beautiful Duro River.
Our valley of the Rio Lima to the north of Porto with its rolling hills and an idyllic rural landscape of vineyards,
streams, rivers, and village life make this the perfect destination for any avid Watercolour Landscape Artist.
Watercolour Painting Holidays - The Quickest Way To Learn!
Taking a class can change your dream of becoming a good painter into a reality.
I strongly believe that anyone can learn to draw and paint !
You just need:
- the time,
- the passion
- and to study the techniques,
- (oh, and a good teacher of course!)
then that dream can be yours!
Therefore make 2020 the year you learn to paint!
- Over 30 years of study
Having studied the art of drawing and watercolour painting during the last 30 years. I would now love to share that knowledge with you.
Most importantly my Watercolour Classes can be tailored to your specific needs covering for example:
- Paper stretching,
- Sketching and Drawing skills,
- Composition and Notan,
- Simplification of a scene,
- Contrast and Tonal Values,
- Lost and found edges,
- Colour Theory,
- Atmospheric Perspective,
- techniques: masking, textures.
‘One-on-one’ and Small Groups
Small classes mean more individual attention.
My watercolour classes are available for:
- One-on-one tuition,
- Small groups of 1-4 students,
- For beginners and/or intermediate,
- And non painting partners are welcome.
Watercolour Painting Course dates for 2020.
Three courses for 2020:
Monday 4th May – Friday 8th May 2020
Monday 1st June – Friday 5th June 2020
Monday 14th September – Friday 18th September 2020
- Meet for a stroll, an introduction to the town, the studio and welcome drinks.
Monday – Friday
- After your breakfast in your accomodation (if included), stroll over Ponte de Lima’s beautiful roman pedestrianised bridge to the studio in our house, located just 2 minutes from the bridge.
- Spend the morning in our comfortable studio to practise and discuss watercolour painting theory and practise and our plans for the day.
- Take lunch in a nearby cafe or restaurant (food and drink is very reasonably priced in this area of Portugal.)
- Weather permitting we will spend the afternoons in one of the numerous beautiful locations nearby: river views, parks and gardens, historic architecture, vineyards and fine granite buildings.
- Review and critique our work to improve our techniques.
What is included:
You will need:
(I have some spare equipment for sale and to lend, let me know if you need to borrow anything or need advice on buying equipment.)
A 2b pencil,
Soft Putty Rubber,
2 or 3 Watercolour Brushes with good pointed tips,
Watercolour paints and palette.
Bring your own A3 or A4 watercolour paper
All Year Round!
Classes are available almost all year round and I will be happy to create a timetable to suit you:
- Classes are Monday to Friday.
- All year round excluding mid June to mid July and Christmas holidays.
- In September the festival of ‘Feiras Novas’ brings thousands of people to the town, making accommodation scarce and quite noisy.
- Click here on the Ponte de Lima website link for details of what’s going on and when.
Ponte de Lima
Viana do Castello
My Home Town:
Ponte de Lima , Portugal’s oldest village and ‘best kept secret’ – Population 2800, elevation 175m.
My family and I are now fortunate enough to live in the Alto Minho area of North Portugal, 50 mins from Porto (Oporto) Airport.
Ponte de Lima is a popular picturesque village that lies on the banks of the Rio Lima. Surrounded by a stunningly beautiful landscape of rolling hills, vineyards, boulder strewn mountains, pretty villages, ancient watermills, streams and rivers.
The town has one of Portugal’s finest medieval Roman bridges and is famous for its beautiful parks, gardens, flowers, churches and not to mention the food, wine and festivals.
There is an abundance of restaurants and cafes where you can sample the famous local food and ‘Vino Verde’ wine.
In addition there is alsoSwimming, Pony Trecking, Kayaking, Cycling, Hiking, Golf, Surfing and the beach which are all easily accesible. and a vast market on the river bank every other Monday.
Ponte de Lima is on the famous pilgrimage ‘Camino de Santiago‘ also known as The Portuguese Way. A 2 or 3 week treck through Portugal and over the border eventually ending in Spain’s Santiago de Compostela. If you are making this pilgrimage why not treat yourself to a midway stop in beautiful Ponte de Lima and come painting for a few days. I can provide all the materials you need.
30 minutes from the sea, and a fabulous coastline the Rio Lima flows out into the harbour town of Viana do Costelo.
Painting Holiday Accommodation:
Likewise there is a huge array of accomodation in or close to town. From Youth Hostels, Apartments, Hotels, Farmhouses and Mansions, depending on your taste and budget. Click here for our ‘accommodation page’
If you are arriving at Porto’s Oporto Airport, I can arrange Airport transfer which takes around 1hr from Porto Airport or Vigo Airport in Spain to Ponte de Lima. see our ‘Contact Page’ for more travel details.
This area of Portugal is great value for money in almost all respects.
You can find a glass of the local vino verde in a village cafe for less than 1 Euro and 3 course lunch for 6 Euros if you know where to look.
Likewise my tuition can start from as little as 5o Euros/day.